I have not enough of the Portuguese Settlement


Credits : Shaukani Abbas,
Chairman,
Friends Of Museum

Praya Lane.

Yes, Praya Lane is where I began to know there is a Portuguese Community in Melaka and you would wonder how later I discover about the Portuguese people at the age of about 16.

During my primary schooling years between 1967 to 1972, I only got to know 2 places; one home, two Bandar Hilir English School.

New persons I came to know is Tan Beng Hooi, my school headmaster and a few teachers beside the Malay uncle who drove me to and fro, Mahmud.

My knowledge about the Portuguese in particular and other communities in Melaka was very shallow or of little depth then. I am thinking that teenagers of my age then is not like me today.

My Story: The Portuguese People in Melaka
by Martin Theseira
in the History & Ethnography Museum
organised with Friends of Museum


There was a Siew Clinic within Jonker Walk once and the son of his elder brother was in the same class as me when I was in the first year for the General Certificate of Education Ordinary Level ( GCE O ). 

This good friend of mine, would cycle to my house in his Chopper and he would carry his guitar in his left hand leaving his right hand to control and braking his cycling.

Chopper is a bicycle for the rich then and my mama got one the same for me from the Chop Eng Chuan on Jalan Hang Kasturi. Finally I own a guitar too, my mama bought it from Tai Chong Book Company on Jalan Bunga Raya.

For your information, during my time in the 1970s, Chop was used to brand a small shop and Company was used to brand a bigger shop.

Off we cycled to Praya Lane to a house regularly to learn how to play the guitar from Jeffrey. Music to the Portuguese and the Seas to the Portuguese to me is like the Malay proverb, " Air di cincang tidak akan putus "

I feel so nice when I see the Assumption Church before arriving at Jeffrey's house.

Friday 19 April 2019 11:49 a.m. - I can only write to here to leave the desktop for a Gotong-Royong at the Balairaya Bukit Tempurong by 12 noon. My pengerusi, Rohana Binti Abdul Razak is arranging a Kenduri Arwah for her village community.

I will continue to write whenever there is a window time in between activities. Please come back for more. Meanwhile, watch Mr. Martin Theseira's My Story.





Friday 19 April 2019 3:13 p.m. I am back from St. Peter's Church, Melaka.


Today is Good Friday, Easter is around the corner. A Portuguese Church, the bald-headed man, a team member of the church tell me as I was setting up the tripod for this Facebook Live Video at the St. Peter's Church, Melaka. The veneration of the Dead Lord is going on and the church is packed by now.

True enough, the church has keep the heritage of the Portuguese intact as highlighted by Martin during My Story in the History & Ethnography Museum on St. Paul's Hill three days ago.

Martin emphasized that you can't divide the seas and the Portuguese and history has proven how their great navigators had sailed to Melaka. Look at the Porta de Santiago or commonly, for the people, Fort A Famosa.

The Tower of Belem, a landmark for mariners stands in the Tagus River near Lisbon clearly shows how the seas has benefited the Portuguese. The structure is adorned with nautical devices such as the ropes that encircle the turrets.

Fishing in the Atlantic Ocean stretches from Setubal - Cape Roca - Nazare - Figueira da Foz to Matozinhos.

If the Portuguese were not to be empire builders across the seas, Melaka would be less luckier today to showcase her heritage to the world. There will be no Fort A Famosa.

Portugal faces the Atlantic and throughout history they have been fishermen and sailors and the same is true for their descendants in Portuguese Settlement in Ujong Pasir, Melaka.

The history of the Melaka and the present character of the Portuguese Settlement are defined be two themes, the sea and the settlement. How could you ever try to divide them ?

I will continue to write whenever there is a window time in between activities. Please come back for more. Friday 19 April 2019 3:48 p.m. I am now away to cover LIVE, the traditional Kenduri Arwah of the Malay for the departed. 

Usually, this event would be done before the arrival of Ramadhan and normally after the Isyak prayers.

I am back on Saturday 20 April 2019, 10:36 a.m. Ask your friend who like wines, and he or she will tell you that fines wines are always corked. Do you know that Portugal is the largest producer of cork. 

I write this blog post to share with you since I have attended the amazing My Story by Mr. Martin Theseira last Tuesday. 

Martin's story is absolutely reflective of the evolution of the Portuguese daily life and social customs since he has seen how Tranqueira (now Tranquerah) changes, and how Praya Lane changes, and so on ... ... ...

Melaka is an important location for Portugal to continue their voyage into the Far East, and the folks would tell you that after Melaka, the Portuguese arrived at China by sea, sailing around Africa.

Being great travelers, the Portuguese had traded with China as far into the east during the Ming Dynasty but not as impressive as Melaka where they even built a fort to protect their present around the St. Paul's Hill.

The fact that the Jesuit missionaries had make their way inland to preach the Christian religion, is enough to support the Portuguese exploration over the waters of the world.


Portuguese are the men who made the world known, and they really meant it even come to the son of their King, Henry the Navigator. Prince Henry of Portugal is a nephew of Henry IV of England.

The Portuguese Settlement is A Star Attraction for Malaysia from Christmas until New Year Day every year. 

Coinciding with the third and long term schools holiday throughout Malaysia and Singapore, the Portuguese Settlement is the major center of attraction to inbound tourists coming in from Kuala Lumpur International Airport (KLIA) , Penang International Airport or even Changi Airport Singapore.

You have got to book your hotel rooms early with hotels in Melaka to avoid disappointment and two comfortable hotels which is very near to the settlement are Temasek Hotel and The Settlement Hotel. Why ?

The Answer : Martin in his story has tell the audience, the settlement is packed with people from all walks of life, young and old, all races, Malaysians and foreigners who do not want to miss the #MustSeePortugueseSettlement .

How many of you have ever remember that Vasco da Gama died on Christmas Eve in India when you enjoy the sights of each steps you made last year.

Two of aplenty friends I am acquainted would never ignore the achievements of the settlement and the support needed by the Portuguese and they are YB Datuk Tey Kok Kiew and Jennifer Poh. Check Here


Comments