Spittoon | Old Melaka Restaurant



On Mobile
#OldHabit



People used to say, 'Old Habit Dies Hard '. But not for this one.

In the past, spittoon were put below the tables in restaurants. 

I still remember sitting of a small round marble table with wooden stands. And the spittoon was just below the table in between the four-legged table.

I would make sure to manage my legs well so that I would not accidentally kicked the spittoon. Beside that I would prefer not to look at the spittoon though I was curious in the beginning.

During those days, having a bowl of wan tan mee in the afternoon after lunch and before dinner was a luxury. At times, I enjoyed the noodles as supper. In the coffee shop, I had the noodles, spittoons were used during those days. 

By 1970s, most people had discarded the habit of spitting and coffee shops stopped putting spittoon under the tables.

Comments