How the Asia financial crisis affected me



On Mobile
#Crisis

1985 to 1990 was just the primary period for the economy I lived within and it was also the moment I owned a used second-hand 1.3-litre national car. The car was priced at RM15,000.00.

Based on work performances, my 1st secondment took me 145km away from home. The Offer was promising but I needed 3 months to consider.

Out of the thirteen States key -staff, the MD listed 10 points to get me agreed.

(Secondment is a period of time when an employee is sent to work somewhere else temporarily, either to increase the number of workforce there, to replace s worker, or to exchange experiences and skills.)

Unfortunately, cronies-playing and apples-polishing was not taught in class. Work hard and honesty was drilled into the soul from young. What was learnt couldn't be used and what wasn't learn is needed. That made a failing in the rat-race.

Seven years later, a second secondment to build a national network from zero was accepted. The firm grew, but sustaining the costs of operations became tougher. Due to insufficient paid-up capital, the company was sold to a new owner right upon the onset of Asian financial crisis in 1998.

As the crisis snowball, the teamwork spirit diluted and selfishness ruled the management.

Like the sinking Titanic, the moderate loses to the aggresive and I lost again.

Three years later, I was put to work on the same level as a foreign 3rd-world worker. Earning less than RM300.00 bi-weekly paved a poor road for my wife, two daughters and a son. A kilogram of Selar Kuning suffice the dinner for a week and it costs us RM3.50 per kilo. Today, the same fish cost nearly twenty ringgit.

Starting from scratch, dedicated in work as always, provided further knowledge.

But then, knowledge alone was not enough because without apples-polishing knowledge could be stained.

... bookmark for updates






Comments