Melaka Winter Melon Soup


On a small table, a container stood with these words “Winter Melon Soup” What strike you first ? Is it the “winter” ? Or is it the “melon” ? Why is a soup iced ? The Chinese prefer to have soups warm or hot. It was learned that the Cantonese make sure there is soup on their tables every day. As far as I am concerned, I guess this melon has got some relation with winter. This is untrue. Upon checking, winter take place in the fourth and the last season of the year. This melon can be grown on almost any well-drained, fertile soil but do best on rich, sandy loam and on light alluvial soils. I asked myself, why “soup” and not “drink” ?




Gosh ! Could it be a spelling mistake ? No, no, no …. there must be a reason behind it …

Two packs got into my car. My son quickly sipped the soup. I returned to the table to get this picture for sharing with you. I smile. Hoping to get some information. I smile again and stare into her eyes. She voluntarily said, “A melon !”. “I got it steamed first and no sugar is used.” The rest is secret recipe.

Got into my car, reversed a bit and followed by a push to the “D” of the auto-transmission, I sipped like my son did while driving forward. Wow ! “Mo Tak Teng !”, I exclaimed. Now, I understand why “soup” is used instead of “drink”. Usually, the Cantonese would steamed-warm their soup for hours before taking them.

Find one, next time in Jonker Walk !

Mo Tak Teng is a Cantonese words which means “Excellent”.


Comments