Because of zhongzi



Would my teacher recognize me after I got separated with him for 36 years ? I dare not bet on it. 


She reminded, ' Don't buy pork today because the Dragon Boat Festival is around the corner. During this season, pork is sold at a higher price the other days since the demand exceed supply. '


' Alright, I won't get pork. I would scout for fishes. ' , I replied to her.


The engine was allowed to warm up in the early morning of last Saturday before I drove the car the the wet market. After parking the car in front of a south Indian curry spices mixer shop, all I'd to do was to get an hourly Majlis Bandaraya Bersejarah Melaka coupon. The last of the scratches show 05 minutes from eight in the morning and that means I've an hour till 9.05 a.m. to do my household shopping.


Ah Beng asked , ' Jin Tian Mei You Zuo Gong ' the moment I reached his stall which is paved with 4" x 4" white ceramic tiles. Ah Beng has three women customers waiting for him as he prepared their orders. When two of his customer left the stall, Ah Beng told the third one , ' Hou yi seng , yi ai kee cho kan ' The women demanded she be served first as her son-in-law is waiting for her and she got what she wanted.


Pork ribs, pork legs, lean meat, wrapped with paper got weighed for calculate the price, and I pay with a fifty ringgit.


As I lowered my head to get through a hawker umbrella, a young girl was counting some zhongzi. I asked her whether does she sell these zhongzi tomorrow. A man walked close to us with her wife and stared interestingly at us. ' You must be Mr. Chong. '  I exclaimed. Quickly, whisperd , ' You're a teacher with Malacca High School ! '


Because of zhongzi, we met after 36 years not seeing each other.


Happy Zhongzi Festival (Actual Chinese Date : Wednesday 12 June 2013)





Comments