Poem To My Mother


from you I learn
what it is to love
wholly
completely
unconditionally
the way you love
me, us and even
the outsider in need

from you I learn to accept
children
as they are
for you believe
the baggage they carry
they got it from the adults
and you take them in
faults, problems and all

from you I learn to believe
that even when the worst days hit me
the goods days will balance up
the pain, the tears
with joys and smiles

from you I learn to be gentle
for life is sometimes hard enough
and a gentle touch
that shows care, concern
is much more useful
and needed

from you I learn to be humble
because there is no place
for pride that hurt
and ego that attack
and that I am no less a person
for the humility that I display

from you I learn to be proud
for there is no shame in poverty
that I can still hold my head up high
and reach for the stars
and dream the impossible dream

from you I learn to be responsible
that duty is sometimes not a choice
and that having taken up that responsibility
I see it through
no matter what the price
because you took responsibilty for me
I never had to suffer the irresponsibility of others

Most of all I learn to love
even when I am not loved in return
because it is my choice to love
I love honestly
passionately
deeply
and without regrests

from you I learn to live
as rightly as I strive to give
of myself
to want but not deprive others
to share but not give up all I have
to contribute because this life
is not just about me
but about life and living
all these and more
from you
I learn.

by Chris Ng

Comments